Friday 14 January 2011

PATRICK: Graphics Man - Some Inspirations

Hi, I am Patrick a new contributor to the Lucy Jay Blog; I am a graphics based designer and will be occasionally sharing with you what influences and inspires me and not only helps to contribute to my work and Lucy Jay but also general day to day things that may be of interest to you.

I am very much influenced by graphics and typography. I am working on building up my library of books and thought this might be a good place to start; all these books are graphic design related but not necessarily just for the graphic designer. They can be inspirational to anyone and read by everyone.


The book is a really good read, it gives a good history of typefaces and there subtle differences.





I have wanted to get my hands on this book ever since seeing Stephen Powers work in Creative Review.

This particular piece was created in Philadelphia in the summer of 2009; it consisted of a written love letter across a selection of rooftops facing a main train line. The letter, meant for one, with meaning for all, encompasses 50 walls on a 20 block stretch of market street... amazing.

He includes really aspirational and sentimal messages in his work and it is really great how the piece can be viewed by passengers on the train; the bright contrasting colours are what make the piece work so well.





This is a book I have read and referenced a few times but never owned until now. The book showcases one of the most influential and iconic designers work, Josef Muller Brockman. His work and that of other swiss designers has influenced a generation of modern design; what I found great about his work is how modern thinking and ground breaking it was for its time.

Again this book is not just for graphic designers and his work can be appreciated by everyone...


Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment